Thane toppers share their secret to success
We spoke to the city's best scorers from CBSE, ICSE and SSC boards to find out what study patterns they followed to reach the top. One interesting thing we found was that almost all the toppers were into sports, music and extracurricular activities, and none completely banned entertainment - TV, films and going out with family. Kudos to Thane's all-rounder students! 

Avani Natu (98.2%) 

ICSE Board - Smt Sulochanadevi Singhania School 

Study pattern: "I started studying right from day one - one to one-and-a-half hours every day. My school teachers were very helpful," she states. 

Sports and games: Avani is a national level table tennis player. "This year I did not play because of the exams, but last year I played at the national level," says Avani. 

Entertainment: "I watched many of movies - not just on TV but in the theatre as well," she says adding, "Music helped me a lot." 

Secret to success: "I do not have a secret mantra as such. But in the end I just solved a lot of papers and that helped me," she says. 

Future plans: She will be taking up the science stream in the same school. 



Srijoni Ghosh (97.8%) 

CBSE Board - Lok Puram Public School 

Study pattern: Srijoni studied throughout the year for two-to-three hours every day. During exams it was six-to-seven hours a day with breaks in between. She says, "I also went for tuition classes which was three-to-four days of special classes in Maths, science and social science." She did not take any tuition for Hindi. "The school teachers gave regular homework throughout the year and they always were ready to help whenever I approached any teacher," she says. Srijoni always stood 2nd or 3rd in her class. "But this is the first time that I have topped and scored such high marks," she adds. 

Sports and games: "I am not too fond of sports, but I did swim a lot. I love swimming and have been swimming since I was three. I haven't participated in any state level event though," she states. 

Entertainment: Srijoni says, "I love watching movies in the theatre sometimes and also watched TV. I listened to music, read story books, mostly fiction, and also went out a little with my friends." 

Secret to success: "My hard work helped me and I feel students should study throughout the year. They should be focussed and listen to their teachers always," she says. Srijoni was also supported unconditionally by her school teachers. "My family helped and encouraged me," she says. 

Future plans: "I am taking up science and want to go for engineering," she states. 
Poorna Shetty (96.60%) 

SSC Board - Holy Cross Convent High School 

Study pattern: "I followed a fixed timetable from day one. I also attended tuition classes for all the subjects. During the last one month before the exams, I studied for 10 hours a day. 

Sports and games: Poorna is not a sports person at all. She confesses, "I never played any sports and games, but I am good at athletics and running. Two weeks before the board exams, I participated in an inter-school science quiz where I bagged the first prize." 

Entertainment: She likes watching TV and would watch it for an hour a day. She says, "I used to watch once in a while, but when my exams neared I used to watch only for half-an-hour." 

Secret to success: "Hard work is my only secret to success. I believe that studying from day one always works," says Poorna. 

Future plans: Poorna says, "I want to take up medical studies and be a doctor." 
Apoorv Kishore (95.6%) 

CBSE Board - Kendriya Vidyalaya Air Force School 

Study pattern: Apoorv never took any coaching class nor did he have any fixed timing for his studies. Rather he would study whenever he wanted. He has always been a good student and that helped him. 

Sports and games: "Apoorv has never been too much into sports. He would sometimes go down to play in the building. However, he likes to play chess and has represented his school a few times," says Apoorv's mother. Apoorv is interested in painting and apart from studies, that is what he indulges in. 

Entertainment: He likes watching TV, but is not hooked to it at all, says his mother. She adds, "I am a teacher and I do not believe in pressurising kids for studies. He would watch TV a bit and films - he loves watching Hollywood movies." 

Secret to success: He has been a good student since he was a kid, and has always been interested only in studies. The fact that he has been regular, has helped. His elder brother has guided him and so have his teachers says his mother. 

Future plans: Apoorv plans to take up engineering. 
Priyanka Bagwe (95.02%) 

ICSE Board - Billabong High International School 

Study pattern: Priyanka studied for two hours initially, every day. Later when the syllabus was over she increased study time to around five hours a day. "She had joined tutorials for Science, Maths and Marathi. We came back from USA when she was in her IXth standard and that is the reason she needed help in Marathi," says her mother. 

Sports and games: When we were in the US she was a good swimmer. In her IXth standard she played basketball. 

Entertainment: Priyanka loves to read books and fantasy novels and read most series. She is not much of a TV person, but surfed the internet sometimes. "We would go to Yeoor Hills almost every week and spend good family time there. Priyanka loves to go outdoors," says Bagwe. 

Secret to success: Success is a good combination of everything - self study, and teacher support.

Future plans: Priyanka has opted for science and wants to take up medical studies. 
Vaibhav Pai (96.5%) 

ICSE Board - Hiranandani foundation School 

Study pattern: Vaibhav finished the science and maths portion of Std X during his vacation in the previous class. "This took the pressure off me during the tenth standard. I wouldn't have gotten time to study otherwise. Apart from this there was monthly rigorous testing in every subject. Our teachers increased the difficulty level of these tests so that we would study harder. There were two preliminary exams held in November and January, that also helped a lot," he says. 

Sports and games: Regular extra-curricular activities and weekly physical education classes worked in a positive way for them. He says, "It took pressure off us. There were cultural activities and inter-school events. I am no state-level player, but I regularly played football." 

Entertainment: "I did not stop watching movies but reduced them a lot. I love reading fiction novels and watched comedy TV shows," he states. 

Secret to success: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy - is an adage that Vaibhav believes in. He says, "One should keep a balance. Have fun, stay focussed and don't get stressed out." He advises, "Put on some loud music and dance. It helps a lot." 

Future plans: "I want to become a physicist. I will pursue pure science and engineering and keep both options open," he says.


Anuya Natu (97.8%) 

ICSE Board — Smt Sulochanadevi Singhania School 

Study pattern: "Our school told us to be regular with our studies right from Std IX. I was consistent in all school exams and tests and so did not get burdened in the end." Anuya did not go for any classes, but opted for a test series. "I did around three-four papers with them." She adds, "Because I didn't go for proper tuition classes, after school, sometimes I would stay back if I had to clear doubts. Our teachers would always give us tips." Every day she would study for one to one-and-a-half hours and during exams the hours would go up to three or four. 

Sports and games: A national level basket ball player, Anuya's team had three wins. 

Entertainment: "I watched a lot of movies and television. At night after I would get bored of studying, I'd surf TV channels for a while. Music helped a lot. Even during boards I would listen to music," she says. 

Secret to success: "Being consistent in studies right from the beginning," she says. 

Future plans: She will continue in her school with science.

Comments

Popular Posts